Archive 27/02/2024.

Network effects, aggregation theory and Wardley maps

jfairbairn

Hey folks. First post here, I think.

I’ve been trying to understand how, and whether, a Wardley Map can help to describe network effects that drive adoption and aggregation. Also, now that much of tech is dominated by four or five trillion-dollar companies, how can Wardley Mapping help illustrate the market-capture power dynamics at play when a “normal-sized” company thinks about bringing new solutions to market?

As I see it, a map will usually describe the components required to satisfy a need, and the maturity of those components. But I find it hard to see how a map can describe which version of those components will eventually dominate. For example, Vimeo and YouTube had vastly different outcomes, but they started by participating (kinda, naively) at similar points in the value chain with similar solutions.

Have any of you done a network effects and/or aggregation theory analysis in a Wardley Mapping context? How were you able to overlay the one on the other? Or am I missing something? Pointers to examples much appreciated!

julius.gb

Hi James,

@simone has a good starting point -> Platform Design & Value Chain Mapping

There’s also Evolution of platforms from @chris.daniel

jfairbairn

Thanks @julius.gb - these are just the kind of thing I’m looking for! Will reply with my thoughts if I remember :slight_smile:

elves

Those 4 or 5 trillion dollar tech companies actually run platforms.

LEF are studying this - https://leadingedgeforum.com/research/liberating-platform-organizations/

jfairbairn

Oh, I hadn’t seen that! Thanks for the link.