Evolution of workplace - a map candidate for your comments

Hi Cartographers,

I created a map of evolution of workplace and am interested to hear your comments. It is supposed to server as a good format for explaining evolution of workplace and future of work. I found the map format more convenient than for example a format of the Kano model which does not incorporate evolution dimension. Only the entities in bold count, while the items below those are detailing out the buzzwords.
Thanks and enjoy
Piotr

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your map.

Another aspect that will have a big impact on the future of work is AI. During the 2010s, AI began to accelerate systematization and automation. There has been either co-evolution of practice or the emergence of new skills (human crafts). As skills are automated, reskilling and lifelong learning will need to become the norm to service the human skills pipeline.

Evolution-of-Work

1 Like

Sorry, belated response.

Looks good. The left hand side is effectively a teal organisation according the Fereric Laloux. Could you indicate all the organisation types?

I don’t know what other people experience is, but I’ve worked in a few largish organisations in the last 10 years and most of them are firmly in the Project organisation. And I’m sure it’s not making economic sense to operate like that. So should that be in the commodity region?

Thanks @elves. You raise important points. My intention is to find a way of visualizing the evolution of work and hence am experimenting with the W-map as one of potential formats.
Indeed the left hand side has multiple aspects of a teal org (Laloux is one of the fathers). Indeed the projectized organizations has been dominating. I wish it did not make any economic sense but hey apparently majority of them exist for decades and still dominating. What I meant by putting Projectized in commodity region is my reflection of the fact that when it comes to the ability to execute projects companies are super experienced, in terms of processes, procedures, reaching internal objectives of success and also massaging failures softly to maintain the existing status quo. We all know this. Also when it comes to ability to execute projects versus any other form of endeavour, projects are the natural currency in many places far more mature that any other form. So what I am assessing on the map is the dominance of projectized organizations - they are a commodity. If one is setting up a new organization than it defaults to projectized and it is still much easier to set it up as projectized (also because of the external environment) rather than agile org or as a good citizen of the world.