Map Camp, London 2018

The second year of Map Camp is nearly upon us. If you are joining us tomorrow (3rd October) we’d love to hear about your highlights from the day, questions you might have for the community and just the chance to bring some of the insights and stories from the event to those who are unable to attend.

Presentation #1: Using maps to create focus and leverage,
by Liam Maxwell

Note: All posts here are editable. Feel free to add your thoughts!

My highlights:

• Becoming open was the key to improvement. Lack of change was in the interest of existing providers who were selling legacy.

• Existing government structure did not support cooperation. Change was not about the tech, and could not be procured. Without building situational awareness, change would not be possible. Making people aware of the situation and allowing them do make their own decisions is the right thing to do. (Note: mentioned by @swardley a couple of times - people are not daft, but trapped in the system).

• A map highlights where you should focus on research, and where you should use available solutions. You do not want to build everything by yourself.

• The future will be impacted by Digital Identity. This makes me think what does it mean for me, personally.

• 4 000 000 GBP savings because people have better access to the information on Gov web pages and do not call the services as often as they did (reduction by half).

• A Forbes article by Matt Balantine.

Presentation #2: Mapping a new venture
by Rachel Murphy

Highlights:

• Significant savings were made with mapping:

@Rachel0404 used Wardley Mapping at these companies. £35 million in cost savings over 5 years at DoE and use of Pioneer, Settler, Town Planer at NHS. #map18 #mapcamp @lefep pic.twitter.com/Zhxvld4Ly7

— Glen Robinson (@GlenPRobinson) October 3, 2018
  • Initial gut feeling about a market opportunity was validated with the mapping, and user identification revealed what to expect from the market.
    The sense of confidence was emanating from the presentation, as the uncertainty has been tamed with maps.
    "We created a strategy based on evidence."!

Presentation #3. Mapping one’s regulatory world
by Julie Pierce

Before I describe my highlights - I need to mention that Julie gave a speech also a year ago, and I think she has shown this map, and commented something along those lines:

“This maps reveals the complexity of our environment”.

Such complexity makes it difficult to introduce any changes or even work, so one of her key messages this year was to map a single domain(problem) instead of an entire environment. And then she showed something truly amazing:

This is the state of a certain solution used by the Food Standards Agency before transformation:

And after following the mapping principles:

The moment she has revealed this slide, the audience gave applause not allowing Julie to speak. Indeed, words were not necessary to understand how simple was the new approach and the amount of expected savings. She later explained that the cost of maintaining this solution was reduced by 40%.

Further parts covered the Brexit and its impact on the British food market, as 90% of food is imported from EU, and the FSA will no longer be able to access and analyse foreign data to ensure the food is safe (no contamination, adulteration, related crimes, biological hazards or unexpected allergens).

Finally, she presented what the FSA is going to do:

This simple slide reveals the Strategy - a campaign about waste will be run to leverage shareholders greed (wasted money) and people care about the environment (wasted food has a lot of negative impact on the environment), and that pressure should force food suppliers to adheres to certain standards, amongst which there will be revealing data about how the food is produced.

Will it work? Probably yes, but it is a long-term game.

Do you think it would be possible to figure this out without a map?

Photos by @map_camp, CC-BY-SA, link to all of them.