Archive 27/02/2024.

First attempt at using wardley maps for my own use case for a customer

kimsia

Hey,

I saw Create a map and win free entry to MapCamp this fall and so I am creating this.

My name is KimSia, Sim. I work in the enterprise software industry, and I have created this map:

WMap%20for%20DataFlow%20in%20E

It shows that:

• certain user needs are actually subordinate to other user needs hence having a high chance to be automated (e.g. create delivery order correctly in light green)
  • report generation currently is done in a custom way using Excel on highly repetitive data hence allowing a way for automation to take over and move to (Product / Commodity)
  • Since communication between users are handled by existing systems such as Email, there’s little value to be had by adding those features.

If I had a business in this field, I would do:

• intermediate between users and the various systems containing the data that’s required by:
    1. pulling and sending data to the various systems in an automated fashion (APIs, or mock manual user input)
    2. allow users to build custom reports they need (thereby providing greater value to users and entrenching into the users’ value chain)
  • increase entrenchment of usage by:
    1. building automated features that are required but currently handled manually (such as the generate delivery order)
    2. build features that are required and currently satisfied in the Genesis and Custom categories to move those activities into the Product/Commodity categories

Optionally, I have the following interesting insights.

1. While doing this map, I feel that there is a need to allow hierarchical (nested) maps as a feature of Wardley mapping
  2. and I actually find the use of the whiteboard canvas to be helpful by breaking down multiple steps in terms of clarifying users and user activities.

I would like to discuss this map.

Best regards,
KimSia

bemosior

Thanks for sharing! I like how you situated your tool in the larger system. It’s cool how systems like this have so many places to consider investment.

Very true. Mapping has a sort of fractal quality to it. You can always keep zooming in to finer detail!

My commentary is a bit restrained to the meta-aspects… Some things that might help with RealtimeBoard. First, you can change the line type to straight instead of curved if it makes things more clear. Second, you can change the line connection from the center of a sticky to the top or bottom of it (by dragging the line ends) to improve how the components are displayed. Lastly, it’s ok to make the stickies much smaller so you have room to position them for display. You don’t have to do all these, obviously, but they might help with reading. :slight_smile:

kimsia

Can you help me understand what you mean exactly?

Do you mean always join two notes at the top or bottom sides?

or do you mean join one note at the top or bottom and the other note from the center?

If latter,

between the user need note (in blue) and the activity note (in yellow) the line should start from which note in the center and which note should be connected on either the top or bottom note?

Thank you

bemosior

From the top edge of the bottom notes to the bottom edge of the top notes. Like the below image. It can be just a little easier to read. :slight_smile:

Does that help?

kimsia

Yes copy that

Will change later today

kimsia

Changed. but sadly, the words look very small. I think the original canvas need to be larger. Or I need more practice to write shorter text boxes.